When it comes to dentistry this is a very controversial topic that has drawn a lot of attention from the media in the past. The reason why this is controversial is because of what is contained in the old amalgam fillings that have been commonly placed in the past. They are not very commonly used any more, as the preferred option tends to be white fillings.
The amalgam fillings contains a substance known as mercury, which can be harmful to humans (mercury poisoning). There hasn’t been any definitive research to say that amalgam fillings can lead to mercury poisoning, but there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the subject.
At our practice we are very proud to be a mercury free clinic and do not advocate the use of the old silver amalgam fillings. We opt for the more natural and friendlier composite white fillings material.
The danger associated with having the amalgam fillings is not the filling being in the tooth but the possibility that the filling may crack and therefore leak mercury into your mouth. As it stands, a silver filling in your mouth will not have a cause for concern as the mercury will be sealed inside.
It is becoming more and more common for people to have their old fillings removed and replaced with the friendlier composite fillings. When this procedure is carried out it needs to be carefully done to ensure that all the remnants of the old fillings is carefully removed and there is no leakage. This is done by using a rubber dam protective barrier and high pressure suction to suck all the debris away. We always ensure all safety protocols are followed strictly.
To find out more information please do not hesitate to book your free consultation.